ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Connect Agent, brace yourself... not for the faint of he art!

1999-02-11 09:01:33
Subject: Re: ADSM Connect Agent, brace yourself... not for the faint of he art!
From: "Robinson, Cris" <Cris.Robinson AT LIBERTYMUTUAL DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 09:01:33 -0500
Dear Del and others at IBM -

Prepare yourselves.... I'm quickly losing my patience.

I hope IBM/ADSM/Tivoli is planning a change to the Exchange Agent beyond the
fixtest so that we have
the ability to automate the deletion of old backups on  30+ Exchange servers
daily and we can see when the last backup occurred from the server.
Otherwise it will be time to look at an alternative solution to backup other
than ADSM. I never would have let the agent out the door without such a
feature.

Many of us are fed up with opening a ticket or calling our account rep and
we just want some answers and input.
Why is it that our internal programmers have to finish what IBM started. For
the price I pay for this software I expect to
get a well thought out product. This has yet to happen with the Exchange
client or any other ADSM client.
Our in house programmers are not so impressed with the API documentation
either.

We are  an enterprise of 26,000 desktop devices, 200 Netware servers, 50 NT
servers, 30 Exchange server, 100 Unix boxes and a mainframe all of which use
ADSM for backup and we have not been asked once what we would like to see
enhanced in ADSM. This will change.

Many of us would like real input. I myself would like to see a yearly users
forum, not the storage symposium, but a forum for ADSM only where you have
to deal with our concerns face to face.

We want more say since we have to use the product day in and day out. I
don't care if your upper management puts pressure to get the product out the
door. I have to deal with my internal areas asking me why they can't do the
simplest things and they demand that I tell you to change it.

Can you tell that I have had it? I apologize to anyone who may be offended
by my comments. Remember, the first step to
recovery is admitting that you have a problem.

P.S. This is also being sent to my ADSM rep, nothing personal Ron.

Thanks -
CR
Cris Robinson
Sr. Technical Analyst
Enterprise Storage Management / ADSM
Liberty Mutual Insurance
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
603.431.8400.54837
mailto:cris.robinson AT libertymutual DOT com

Dilbert words of Wisdom:
On the keyboard of life,
always keep one finger on the escape key!