ADSM-L

ADSM/HSM and DCE/DFS

1999-02-10 04:28:04
Subject: ADSM/HSM and DCE/DFS
From: Gerhard Rentschler <g.rentschler AT RUS.UNI-STUTTGART DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 10:28:04 +0100
Hello,
I have a few questions regarding ADSM/HSM.  I use the AIX version of
ADSM/HSM, version 3.1.0.3. The migrated filesystem is a jfs filesystem
with 64GB space. To allow access for remote users I exported the
filesystem as non-LFS filesystem to DFS.

Normal operation works very well. However, there is a problem with
shutdown.

Before shutdown I did a "dsmmigfs deactivate" on the filesystem. The
command completed successfully. But de-export (dfsexport -detach)
failed because of device busy. Also a shutdown of the whole system hang
for the same reason. In my opinion the HSM deamons are still active and
mark the filesystem busy after a deactivate. Unfortunately, I haven't
found a command to shutdown the HSM deamons in the documentation.

Now the questions.
1. what is the right procedure to shutdown HSM (eg. for maintenance)?
2. what happens to the filesystem, when remote users access the
filesystem via NFS or DFS while the deamons don't run?
3. Is there any reason for not using HSM with DFS-exported filesystems?
NFS seems to be supported.

Best regards
Gerhard
---
Gerhard Rentschler            email:g.rentschler AT rus.uni-stuttgart DOT de
Gerhard Rentschler            email:g.rentschler AT rus.uni-stuttgart DOT de
Regional Computing Center     tel.   ++49/711/685 5806
University of Stuttgart       fax:   ++49/711/682357
Allmandring 30a
D 70550
Stuttgart
Germany