ADSM-L

Re: Solaris Performance

2015-10-04 17:47:37
Subject: Re: Solaris Performance
From: Leo Humar
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Hi James,

I had the same problem on a windows NT platform. My machine has a dual
pentium 200 with 128MB of mem and had two SCSI controllers one mylex RAID
and a dual adaptec ultra SCSI controller. The Mylex RAID had a mirrored
system disk and a RAID five data disk.The network connection is a 100MHZ
ethernet connection via a network switch.  I installed ADSM on the RAID
five (9GB)  including a 5GB backuppool. The backup didn't perform to my
expectation. Tuning of ADSM didn't make much difference. I installed a SCSI
to SCSI RAID controller and moved the log ,DB and the backup pool to the
much faster RAID system.
Our initial throughput was around the 1.5MB per hour.
after the new RAID on a seperate controller we where getting 5 to 7GB an
hour for each session.
You may have the same problem.
Also look at the client book re large restore and the command line backup
to increase performance.

from the windows client book

3.17 Performing Large Restore Operations

With Windows NT, if you need to restore a large number of files, you will
get faster performance using the
command-line interface rather than the GUI.  In addition, you will improve
performance if you enter multiple
restore commands at one time. For example, to restore all the files in your
c: file space, you would enter:

     dsmc restore c:\*.* -subdir=yes -replace=all -tapeprompt=no

However, if you enter multiple commands for the root directories in your c:
file space, ADSM can restore
the files faster. For example, you would enter these commands:

     dsmc restore c:\users\ -subdir=yes -replace=all -tapeprompt=no
     dsmc restore c:\data1\ -subdir=yes -replace=all -tapeprompt=no
     dsmc restore c:\data2\ -subdir=yes -replace=all -tapeprompt=no

Or, if you need to restore files for multiple drives, you would enter these
commands:

     dsmc restore c:\*.* -subdir=yes -replace=all -tapeprompt=no
     dsmc restore d:\*.* -subdir=yes -replace=all -tapeprompt=no
     dsmc restore e:\*.* -subdir=yes -replace=all -tapeprompt=no

You can also use the quiet option with the restore command to save more
processing time. However,
you will not receive informational messages for individual files.

Note:  If you already have the appropriate values set for the subdir,
replace, tapeprompt, and quiet
       options in your client options file, it is not necessary to include
these options in the commands.

Cheers
Leo Humar