ADSM-L

Re: Solaris Performance

1999-02-04 15:41:21
Subject: Re: Solaris Performance
From: Russell Street <russells AT AUCKLAND.AC DOT NZ>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 09:41:21 +1300
> We've never been able to get ADSM to recognize raw volumes in a non-AIX
> environ.  Any tricks I'm missing here?  This would be good news for us - we
> prefer raw volumes.

The trick is that ADSM checks to see if a file system exists on the
disk before using it.  If it can find a file system it refuses to use
the raw disk space.

Of course, it was not telling me that in words of one syllable; just
saying "can not use /dev/rdsk/...".  v3 may do, I can not remember.

You also have to skip the first cylinder of the disk which contains
the partition table.  ADSM does not skip those vital sectors by
itself.  v3 will not let you use the first cylinder anyway.

Russell