ADSM-L

Re: DUMP/LOAD/AUDIT DB TIME ESTIMATION

1999-02-04 03:17:47
Subject: Re: DUMP/LOAD/AUDIT DB TIME ESTIMATION
From: Herwig Evenepoel <Herwig.Evenepoel AT KB DOT BE>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 09:17:47 +0100
Hello,

Just to inform you of our experience with dumpdb etc..

About six months ago, we had a problem with adsm in one site, the expiration
could not
finish due to an error in the db. Adsm V2.14 on OS/2 server with a db of less
than 5 GB !!!

We contacted IBM support in Belgium, they told us to do a dump of the db. The
first time
we tried it, I stopped this process after 2 days because the servers were NOT
backuped
during two days !

Because we had planned to move to a larger tape lib on that site, we started
from scratch with
a totally new adsm environment which meant to plan carefully the backup of the
servers because the
first backup was a full backup.

Meanwhile we started again the dump db which took about 3 days for our 5 GB DB.
Afterwards we
had to do a load of the db which failed AFTER 5 days running without
interruption!
From IBM support we got no real support, they give us "commands" which were not
working, they even
gave commands only working for a version 3; although they knew we had v2 on
OS/2.
Since we did not hear anything about a solution for our problem. Happily we had
planned for a migration.

So good luck, you will need it,

Herwig Evenepoel
KBC Bank Belgium

arshadmunir AT hotmail DOT com on 03/02/99 17:11:00