ADSM-L

Re: Archive vs. Backup (snapshot enhancement)

1999-02-02 17:40:18
Subject: Re: Archive vs. Backup (snapshot enhancement)
From: Paul Zarnowski <vkm AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 17:40:18 -0500
At 11:45 AM 2/2/99 -0500, Bill Colwell wrote:
>The key issue
>for implementing this is to flag all the file versions that make up the
>active set so that when some of them are no longer part of the active set
>and subject to expiration, expiration is inhibited.

Yes, I agree.  I'm just not sure what the best way of implementing this is.
 I think it's important to not corrupt the existing definition of
management classes.  If a backup management class indicates that 3 inactive
versions of a file should be kept, that's pretty explicit and easy to
understand.  If you introduce potential exceptions to this rule, that could
complicate things (for both users and ADSM developers).

I'm looking for some design point that would minimize disruption of
existing concept definitions.

..Paul