ADSM-L

[no subject]

2015-10-04 17:47:36

You can implement the equivalent of a virtual mount point on NT by creating
a local share and then backing the share up as a separate filespace.

For example, on an NT machine named NTMACH1, you could create virtual mount
points on directories c:\bigdir1 and c:\bigdir2 as follows:

              NET SHARE bigdir1=c:\bigdir1
              NET SHARE bigdir2=c:\bigdir2

You could then backup these shares as separate filespaces as follows:

            dsmc incr \\NTMACH1\bigdir1  \\NTMACH\bigdir2

The filespaces on the server (assuming you are using client PTF 5 or later)
will be \\ntmach1\bigdir1 and \\ntmach\bigdir2 .

One thing to keep in mind is that even though these shares are local, NT
still sees them as being remote, so you would need
to explicitly add them to your domain statement (they wouldn't get picked
up by ALL-LOCAL).

Also, the client scheduler service would have to run as a domain authorised
account because NT thinks the shares are domain resources
so the local system account won't have access to them.

Note that the above examples use the UNC name directly. You could just as
easily map these shares to a drive letter and get the same result.

Also note that local shares are only supported on NT, they aren't allowed
on Win9x.

Hope this helps ....

Pete Tanenhaus
ADSM Client Development
email: tanenhau AT us.ibm DOT com
tele: 408.256.8858 (San Jose), 607.755.7620 (Endicott)

---------------------- Forwarded by Pete Tanenhaus/San Jose/IBM on 02/02/99

Jeff Connor <connorj AT NIMO DOT COM> on 02/02/99 01:00:45 PM