ADSM-L

NT restore performance for small files

1999-02-01 11:22:00
Subject: NT restore performance for small files
From: "Hensel, Matthias" <Matthias.Hensel AT SCHERING DOT DE>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 17:22:00 +0100
     I would like to know how I can achieve acceptable restore times in
     case of disaster of an very big LAN server. We had great
expectations
     to get better preformance when moving to V3 server/client because
of
     better tape algorithms and FatPipes etc. Now when we had our first
     really big disaster we were kind of disillusioned when seeing the
poor
     restore "speed".

     How can I handle it to get performance beyond 1.5 - 2 GB/h per
session
     for LAN Server data? Having LAN servers up to 100 GB data capacity,

     you can imagine with 3 to 4 sessions that we easily reach restore
     times of about 15 hours.

     Is this adequate to todays needs? Am I doing something wrong?

     I know that it is no problem to restore very big database files
when
     tape drives are streaming, but what to do with the vast amounts of
     small files?

     Does it make sense to decrease the number of backup versions to
keep,
     to get less space (due to inactive files) between two active files
     be restored?

     Is it an idea to do an export node filedata=backupactive and
reimport
     as a new node and then start the restore from this new node?

     What are you doing to keep performance up to date?

     Matthias