ADSM-L

Re: (pas d'objet)

1999-02-01 10:07:32
Subject: Re: (pas d'objet)
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 09:07:32 -0600
     couple of things, maybe...

     When you defined the 3570 did you give it an estimated capacity ?
     I always leave it blank defining tape drives so I can't say what it
     will do if you force it to a lower value than the capacity of the
     device... (and are the tapes marked "full"?)

     What is the raw capacity of the 3570?  (I run 3590's)
     If its raw capacity is 5 GB you are probably seeing where clients are
     sending compressed data (client compression is on).
     The amount "indicated" data on the tape is how much the adsm server
     "puts" there... If the client sends you 100 GB of uncompressed data
     and that (via tape drive hardware compression) compresses down to 10
     GB and gets written to a single tape, the tape will show 100 GB on it
     BUT if the client uses "client compression" they will compress their
     100 GB of user file space down to 10 GB, transmit that 10 GB to the
     adsm server, the adsm server will load that on tape and the tape
     content will reflect only 10 GB (even though it still has 100 GB of
     end user file space)

     later