ADSM-L

Re: Cannot stop a restore session

1999-01-29 11:01:27
Subject: Re: Cannot stop a restore session
From: Andy Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 08:01:27 -0800
This is a feature called "restartable restore" that allows
failed restores to be restarted from on or about the point
they failed. The reason for having something like this is so
that if you were 18 hours into a restore, then the restore
failed due to a TCP/IP connection failure (or some other
unexpected problem), it could be restarted from where it
left off, as opposed to having to start all over again from
the beginning. When you cancelled the session, this caused
the restore to be left in a restartable state.

Because the ADSM server is maintaining information about the
state of the restore, it does not allow other operations like
backup to run, which would otherwise destroy the state of the
restore.

Anyway, that's the background on what this is about. From
the ADSM Backup-Archive client command line interface,
enter the command CANCEL RESTORE. From there you can pick
a restartable restore session to cancel, and then you can
resume backup operations.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Storage Systems Division
ADSM Client Development
e-mail: storman AT us.ibm DOT com
"The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked."

I started a restore to an NT Server yesterday, and then realized that in
fact we
didn't need it.  I cancelled the session on the ADSM server and closed the
window on the client.  That client failed to back up last night, and I see
in
the dsmsched.log "this machine has a pending restore and cannot backup
until the
restore is completed or cancelled", or something to that effect.  I do not
see
any sessions or processes relating to the restore and as I said, I
calcelled it
yesterday, approximately 3 hours before the client was to start backing up.
  Any
ideas on how to flush the remnants of this restore out of the system?
Thanks in
advance for your help.

Sean M. Stecker
stecker.sean AT orbital-lsg DOT com