ADSM-L

Re: Why seperate Backup and Archive Pools

1999-01-28 15:01:29
Subject: Re: Why seperate Backup and Archive Pools
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 14:01:29 -0600
     and so true Sir!
     all archives in our 10 year archive management class (we have 35, 65,
     95, 185, and 370 day archive mgmtclasses + a 3,666 day mgmtclass ie
     10yr) go to a seperate pool with a copy pool and a daily admin sched
     that does the backup stgpool command... anything less than 1 year gets
     normal (nothing special) treatment.

     (* side track note *)
     on my choice of 3,666... it allows for leap years, expiring over a
     weekend and the such BUT...
     did anyone other than myself notice over Christmas on some cable tv
     channels where they were running adds offering tapes/CD's with
     religious music and the 800 number was 1-800-'666'-xxxx  ? ? ?

     probably just a personal problem
     later,
           Dwight

Author:  vkm (vkm AT cornellc.cit.cornell DOT edu) at unix,mime
Date:    1/28/99 1:42 PM

That's true, it does increase the probability that you will detect archive
readability problems.  But- it doesn't really prevent them from happening.
I am reaching the conclusion that for Archival data, at least, using COPY
pools is even more important than for backup pools.