ADSM-L

ADSM v3.1 and compression

1999-01-28 13:38:48
Subject: ADSM v3.1 and compression
From: Tom Haddad <thaddad AT COLUMBIAENERGYGROUP DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 13:38:48 -0500
Im runnig ADSM v3.1.2.0 on AIX 4.3 with 2 3570 (mod C) tape devices.
General compression issues...

1. Do you see a trend to set COMPRESSION OFF on all client types and user the
3570 compression ..
2. Or dependent on client type...set COMP=ON?
3. 3570 and ADSM compression return about the same ratio from what Ive tested.

I have Netware 4.1 NT 4.0 and AIX 4.x clients.

I get better use of 3570 capacity from NT clients.  In Novell, the results are
not as good.
I do know some things
-compression is active on the Netware servers so ADSM/or/hardware may not
contribute much
contribute much
more during backup.

As you can see my biggest concern are the Netware ones. I have a single one
that has about 60G. Currently its
running on an ADSM v2.1 (AIX 3.2.5) server to 8mm (YESS...8mm). Im ready to
convert the client to V3.
Recommendations???