ADSM-L

Dataset allocation of ADSM for MVS V3

2015-10-04 17:48:52
Subject: Dataset allocation of ADSM for MVS V3
From: Ray Kramer [mailto:Ray.Kramer AT INFRAMATICA DOT NL]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Hello all ADSM subscribers,
=A0
I'm quite busy with an installation of 'ADSM for MVS V3'=A0 at a large =
banking
organization in the Netherlands.
=A0
We chose to store all datasets with DEVICE TYPE=3DFILE in a large SMS =
managed
DASD pool. Allocations of 100 MB files results in only a primary =
allocation
(secondary blocks=3Dzero), when we tried to allocate larger datasets =
(e.g. 300
MB) the allocation is changed to a primary and secondary extent =
allocation.
Our MVS Systems Programmer could not find a way to influence this =
process
within the DFSMS ACS routines. For example, we changed Multi Volume to
Single Volume with no result. Therefore we are forced to work with =
relative
small datasets. Does anyone recognize this problem and knows the cause =
of
it? Is there a workaround?
=A0
Our standard SMS implementation works also with RELEASE, FREE SPACE. =
Can
this have any impact on ADSM processes?
=A0
Thanks in advance,
=A0
Ray Kramer,
Storage Management Consultant,
Inframatica bv, the Netherlands.
mailto:  <mailto: Ray.Kramer AT inframatica DOT nl> Ray.Kramer AT inframatica
DOT nl=20
=A0
=A0