ADSM-L

Re: IBM 3494 and problems with defect cartridges

1999-01-27 09:14:25
Subject: Re: IBM 3494 and problems with defect cartridges
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 09:14:25 -0500
tape from the 3494's inventory:

Volume, delete from Library Manager     A destroyed tape which the 3494 spits
 database                               out will remain in the library's
                                        database indefinitely, with a category
                                        code x'FFFA'.  To get rid of that
                                        useless entry, use the FFFB
                                        (Purge Volume) category code, as in:
                                        'mtlib -l /dev/lmcp0 -vC -V VolName
                                                -t FFFB'

The response that Othmar got from IBM was certainly disappointing.  They
should be the subject matter experts, and as such should have been able to
advise how to easily do this by simply changing the volume's category code.

    Richard Sims, Boston University OIT