ADSM-L

IBM 3494 and problems with defect cartridges

1999-01-27 03:13:59
Subject: IBM 3494 and problems with defect cartridges
From: Othmar Weber <OTHMAR.WEBER.OW AT BAYER-AG DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 09:13:59 +0100
Hi ADSMers,

we are running ADSM V3 with an IBM 3494 with IBM 3590 tape drives attached to
it. We are quite satisfied with that configuration but have some handling
problems:
 After a tape drive "eating" a tape the tape was removed by IBM service and put
to trash. Some time later I  noticed that the tape was still held in the
inventory of the 3494. Doing an inventory update lead to the status quo (output
of the mtlib command):

state................Volume present in Library, but Inaccessible
                     Volume is Misplaced
                     Volume was Manually Ejected
class................10
volser...............J70212
category.............FFFA
subsystem affinity...07 08 05 06 03 04 01 02
                     00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
                     00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
                     00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

First I tried to change the category using the mtlib command, but this does not
work:

Change Category  operation Failed, ERPA code - 6B,  Library VOLSER Misplaced.

I talked to the IBM folks and they told me to do a complete reinventory of the
library
(I did this only once in my ADSM career: the library lost all statistical
information on the tapes,
especially the use counts for the cleaning cartridges). Next idea of the IBM
support was to
insert a dummy cartridge with the same label and eject it afterwards to get rid
of the
inventory reference. I would like to do that but I don't have the barcode label
anymore.

Has anyone an utility to print barcode (Tri-Optic) for 3590 tapes on a laser
printer?
Or better: Has anyone another idea to handle the above problem?

By the way: the library cells with volumes of category FFFA are get reused by
the
the library manager, that means that two volumes point to the same cell and
that's
what I worry about.

Thanks for any suggestion!

Othmar