ADSM-L

Unix bare metal

1999-01-26 09:51:22
Subject: Unix bare metal
From: Pat Wilson <paw AT NORTHSTAR.DARTMOUTH DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 09:51:22 -0500
Hmm.  It's been my naive understanding all this time that if
I slapped an OS and the ADSM client on a unix box, I could
restore the whole thing - now it looks like that's not the
case (or at least it's not that simple).  ADSM won't restore
over open files, apparently (not that I really blame it), among
other things.

So - how _is_ everyone providing DRM on Unix machines?  The straightforward
approach would be to dump / and /usr locally, but I'm trying to get
_away_ from having to do local dumps and having local tape drives - that's
the whole point of investing in ADSM.  This is a heterogenous shop, so
one vendor's solution (NIM and mksysb for AIX, for example) isn't going to
work for everything...

Thanks.

Pat Wilson
paw AT dartmouth DOT edu