ADSM-L

Dismal restore speed

1999-01-25 17:06:58
Subject: Dismal restore speed
From: "Ross, Mitch" <mross AT PSD.COMPUCOM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 17:06:58 -0500
Over the weekend one of our server guys needed to restore about 12gigs of
data from our NT ADSM box.  He gave up, citing restore speeds of 50meg per
15 minutes (200meg/hr).

I've since discovered that a lot of the problem is a bad switch, which is
slowing down all network traffic.  I suspect that another bottleneck is that
the data's coming off tape, and not the disk storage pools.  If I could pull
that server's data off tape into the disk pool the night before, things
should go a lot faster.

Here's the question: assuming I'm *not* doing collocated tapes, can I move a
domain and/or node from tape to disk without moving an entire tape volume's
worth?  We've got 70gig per tape and 20gig of disk, so moving a volume just
won't do it.

Mitchell Ross                           mailto:mitch.ross AT ncgroup DOT com
CompuCom Systems, Inc.          http://www.ncgroup.com
The Source for Technology Deployment Processes and Standards