ADSM-L

Sol client: trace not working in 3.1.0.6

1999-01-25 09:25:00
Subject: Sol client: trace not working in 3.1.0.6
From: "Hensel, Matthias" <Matthias.Hensel AT SCHERING DOT DE>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 15:25:00 +0100
     Increasingly trouble we get with the new release 3.1.0.6 of the
     Solaris client.

     We got steadily backup interrupts, so that we began to trace the
     problem with the builtin trace feature according to suggestions of
IBM
     support. With no good reason the interrupts did not occur anymore
when
     switching on tracing. That was a strange but acceptable solution
for
     the problem.

     With the new ADSM level now tracing seems not to work anymore. A "q

     trace" with the same dsm.opt/dsm.sys like under 3.1.0.5 issues no
     result, although tracing options are set. Since tracing is not
working
     anymore the interrupts re-occured. So what to do since IBM seems
not
     to be willing/able to solve problems with new releases.

     IBM software support is giving no usable feedback for this specific

     problem. The only feedback we got till now was, that using AIX and
     V3.1.0.5 trace works, what evidentially is interessting but is
     completely irrelevant to the opened problem record.

     Since IBM seems to have such big problems supplying an acceptable
(I
     do not dare to use "error free") Solaris ADSM client, I think
     disabling the error tracing option takes the limit.

     For my opinion it would be appropriate for IBM to confess that they
do
     not support the Solaris platform anymore.

     That of course would be very poor for a conceptionally good tool
like
     ADSM is but it would ensure customers to have to set up another
     concept for backing up the Solaris clients without ADSM, so that
one
     can rely on it again.

     How is backup of Solaris working at your site. Can someone share
our
     experience and discontent?

     Matthias Hensel