ADSM-L

MEDIA FAULT PROBLES

1999-01-24 15:22:48
Subject: MEDIA FAULT PROBLES
From: Tahir Mahmood <tmahmood AT VANSEL.ALCATEL DOT COM>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 15:22:48 -0500
Hi,

Our setup is as follows :

ADSM V2R1 (OS/2) - Server
Nodes - OS/2 and NTs
Library- Exabyte 210R with 2 tape drives 8505 XLS and ten tape magazine.
Prim Stg Pool is DASD of 1 GB.
Migration thresholds : Highmig=90 lowmig=30
Next pool is Tape Pool.

Problem: Recently when ADSM picks up a scratch tape from the tape pool to
migrate data from the DASD pool to tape the following erroe is generated :

...quote
01/24/1999 11:16:26  ANR8302E I/O error on drive TAPE03 (TAPE03$) (OP=FSR,
                      CC=403, KEY=03, ASC=14, ASCQ=00, Description=An
                      undetermined error has occurred).  Refer to Appendix B in

                      the 'Messages' manual for recommended action.
01/24/1999 11:16:26  ANR8359E Media fault detected on 8MM volume DSM177 in
                      drive TAPE03 (TAPE03$) of library AUTOLIB.
01/24/1999 11:16:26  ANR0523W Transaction failed for session 200 for node
                      ADSM_CASE (OS/2) - error on output storage device.
01/24/1999 11:17:23  ANR8468I 8MM volume DSM177 dismounted from drive TAPE03
                      (TAPE03$) in library AUTOLIB.
...unquote

ADSM marks the tape Read-Only and then pick the next scratch vol if avail and
does the same. My migration is now stopped at 100% and no further backups are
taking place as the data cannot be migrated to free up space on the DASD pool.
This happened to 5 scratch volumes. I can believe that one or two tapes can be
bad but five in a row. All the tapes are brand new Exatape 160mXL and I was
able to label them successfully before checking them in as 'scratch'.

Can anyone please throw some light on this. Is this error definitely due to bad
tapes or could it have something to do with the drive ? I would greatly
appreciate it if anyone who responds could cc the reply to my e-mail address as
I only subscribe to the Digest and may miss the answer.

Many thanks everyone,

Tahir Mahmood
Network Analyst
Alcatel, Canada.