ADSM-L

Re: 3494 volume "inaccessible"

1999-01-22 15:55:13
Subject: Re: 3494 volume "inaccessible"
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 15:55:13 -0500
>Can you tell me what monitor will watch the library?  The only way I know to
>find the "int req" conditions is to look at the console at the 3494 or the
>panel by the I/O convenience slot.

Sure...  Here at BU we have an AIX cluster which is monitored by a package
that I wrote which, among other things, looks at the 3494 using the system
calls documented in the SCSI ... Device Drivers manual (GC35-0154), which is
available from the storsys FTP site.  But you don't have to do programming to
monitor, if you don't want to, in that the mtlib command is basically an
interface to those system calls.  In particular, you would issue the
'mtlib -l /dev/lmcp0 -qL' (query library) command and hope to find the "state"
line say "Automated Operational State".  But another is "Intervention
Required".  (The full list is in the /usr/include/sys/mtlibio.h header file,
which is installed along with the atldd package that gives you the mtlib
command, lmcpd, etc.)  You could for now rig a simple monitoring script based
upon the mtlib command, and as a later adventure try some programming.

Doing monitoring gives you a heightened sense of control of what's going on in
a complex, and makes an administrator feel much less a victim of the events
that occur in the wondrous world of data processing.

    Richard Sims, BU