ADSM-L

Backup retention - differing requirements

1999-01-22 09:39:24
Subject: Backup retention - differing requirements
From: "GSHEPPAR@CUUKMAIL" <guy_sheppard AT UK.CU DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 09:39:24 EST
To:         I1017261@IBMMAIL   IBMMAIL -I1017261 *ibmmail.I1017261
Dear All,

  The current retention requirements I'm working to are keep backups for 28
days - Simple enough.

 The business now require daily backups kept for 14 days (In this case they are
Oracle DataBase dumps) We're not using EBU, RMAN or SQL Backtrack.

 Month end for 1 year

 QTR end for 1 year

 Tax year-end for 5 years

 Financial year end for 5 years

 etc etc etc.....

 My understanding is that ADSM can be made to do this by defining differing
Management classes. However, in order to attach those management classes to
each of the differing backups; I'd have to have multiple options files and keep
manually switching them depending on the requrements.

 Please advise if I'm talking rubbish !!!

 Thanks, Guy.