ADSM-L

Rewritable CD as DRIVE?

1999-01-19 10:21:47
Subject: Rewritable CD as DRIVE?
From: Ted Byrne <tbyrne AT DSSCORP DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 10:21:47 -0500
We are attempting to set up a test ADSM server with a rewritable CD as
removable media, but have  been unable to get it to work.

Installed the latest release of the server, attempted to define the
rewritable CD as a drive & got the following error:
   adsm> define drive manualcdrw cdrw device=w:
   ANR8420E DEFINE DRIVE: An I/O error occurred while accessing drive CDRW.
   ANS8001I Return code 3.

If we attempt the same thing with the floppy, it works:
   adsm> define drive manualcdrw cdrw device=a:
   ANR8404I Drive CDRW defined in library MANUALCDRW.

The manuals offer little in the way of explanation...
   ANR8420E command: An I/O error occurred while accessing drive drive name
   .
   Explanation: An I/O error occurs while accessing the specified drive.
   System Action: The operation fails.
   User Response: Ensure that the DEVICE parameter associated with the
   drive is identified correctly in the DEFINE DRIVE command, and that the
   drive is currently powered on and ready. After checking and correcting
   these potential problems, retry the command.

The drive is up and running, accessible as drive W:

When we attempt to define the drive, there is no indication that the drive
is being accessed.  It's almost as though ADSM is checking if the drive is
a CD-ROM and failing to check if it is rewritable.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ted