ADSM-L

Will ADSM Server ever support a backup using client's local tape drive

1999-01-18 03:16:24
Subject: Will ADSM Server ever support a backup using client's local tape drive
From: Greg Downes <greg.downes AT CENTRELINK.GOV DOT AU>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 18:16:24 +1000
This one goes out to the ADSM developers.

Will support ever be provided to allow a client's local device to be used
for ADSM backups.  We have 500 sites with a netware server in each but
cannot run ADSM because :

     The ADSM Server cannot run on the Netware box and we do not want to
pay for an extra (say NT ) box in every site       to dedicate to backups

     The WAN bandwidth is not satisfactory to allow Network Backup to
central sites

As such we have been forced to use ArcServ as are backup package for these
Netware boxes. If ADSM could make use the local tape drives and backup
control info stored on a remote ADSM Server then ADSM would be purchased.
Any chance of this support being added ? and if so whats the timeframe.

Greg Downes
Tuning and Storage Admin
Centrelink Australia