ADSM-L

Re: Reclaimation performance

1999-01-14 03:18:18
Subject: Re: Reclaimation performance
From: "Mauro M. TINELLI" <Mauro.TINELLI AT ST DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 09:18:18 +0100
Dwight,

   I know that this is an answer for me ... because of the 20 hours! ::)

>      I can't resist... Well  you are using DLT tapes !

   Wrong, Guy's using DLT, I'm using Magstar 3570 (& ADSM 3.1.1.5)!

>      1) was a data base backup running at the same time ?

Well you know in 20 hours a few things may happen!

I looked at your list of suggestions, and they look perfectly sound and
reasonable to me. And in fact I checked the DB activity while reclamation
was in progress and that wasn't the problem. It happens mainly on a
STGPOOL that I dedicated to OpenMail-Store, I'll include a excerpt for
your information:

adsm> select volume_name,pct_utilized,pct_reclaim from volumes where
(pct_reclaim>=85 and stgpool_name='TAPE_MAIL')

VOLUME_NAME            PCT_UTILIZED     PCT_RECLAIM
------------------     ------------     -----------
1AC857                         83.6            87.6
1AC857                         83.6            87.6
1B1EBD                         81.7            86.1
1B6D15                         39.1            87.8
1E14ED                         83.6            87.9
1EAB02                         54.5            89.6
204BC4                         57.1            87.1

adsm> q stg tape_mail f=d

               Storage Pool Name: TAPE_MAIL
               Storage Pool Type: Primary
               Device Class Name: 3570
         Estimated Capacity (MB): 522 031,9
                        Pct Util: 22,5
                        Pct Migr: 29,0
                     Pct Logical: 46,7
                    High Mig Pct: 90
                     Low Mig Pct: 70
             Migration Processes:
               Next Storage Pool:
            Reclaim Storage Pool: FILE_MAIL
          Maximum Size Threshold: No Limit
                          Access: Read/Write
               Overflow Location:
           Cache Migrated Files?:
                      Collocate?: Yes
           Reclamation Threshold: 100
 Maximum Scratch Volumes Allowed: 100
   Delay Period for Volume Reuse: 0 Day(s)
          Migration in Progress?: No
            Amount Migrated (MB): 0,00
Elapsed Migration Time (seconds): 0
        Reclamation in Progress?: No
 Volume Being Migrated/Reclaimed:
  Last Update by (administrator): ADMIN
           Last Update Date/Time: 13.01.1999 11:30:01

all those tapes which have both 'high reclamation' and 'high utilization'
are bound to stay in the drive for hours!
My temporary solution has been to reclaim to a FILE device class, in
order to use only one drive ... and then wait for a better version of
ADSM ... I hoped it was the 3.1.2!

My guess is that ADSM aggregates in Packets lots of "atomic" elements,
and then when it reclaims those Packets it has to do a hell of a work to
extract them. Actually, when you look at the process you see that it move
a huge quantity of data while filling up a small quantity in RECLAMATION
STGPOOOL.

Thank you for your attention

Ciao Mauro