ADSM-L

Re: Linux Clients causing Server Instability?

1999-01-14 01:09:31
Subject: Re: Linux Clients causing Server Instability?
From: Russell Street <russells AT AUCKLAND.AC DOT NZ>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 19:09:31 +1300
> The problem is: one client command causes a buffer overrun, which
> leads to a server crash. This problem is generaly fixed with the
> ptf-3 clients, but Linux is a ptf-1.
> The verb, that crashes the server, contains the OS version and
> revision. So a kernel 2.0.34 is OK, while 2.1.131 is one byte to long.
> To solve this problem use a non-hacker linux version, or patch the
> version number, this it is shorter than 7 chars (uname -r).

That is a nice rational explanation.  Thanks.

But I do have several Linux clients that report themselves to be
"2.1.106" or similar... so by this theory the ADSM server should be
crashing all the time.

Unless client and server exchange versions on the first communication.

Russell

> ... hacker linux version ...

"development" version please ;)