ADSM-L

Re: 3570 Magstar device and compression

1999-01-13 10:42:04
Subject: Re: 3570 Magstar device and compression
From: "Kerssen, Larry" <Larry.Kerssen AT METROKC DOT GOV>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 07:42:04 -0800
I'd say you are correct if you are only concerned about actual bytes in the
tape pool.  I do client compression because I have a very slow network.  On
some of my clients ADSM compresses 90%+   That means I can do the client
backup with maybe 10% of the impact on the network, of course I am adding
cpu overhead to the client.   However, most of my clients have excess cpu,
especially at 1-2AM when the backups run.