ADSM-L

Small servers & ejecting tapes

1999-01-12 15:41:25
Subject: Small servers & ejecting tapes
From: "Ross, Mitch" <mross AT PSD.COMPUCOM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 15:41:25 -0500
We started using ADSM here with a 3447 tape library backing up an EMC box,
and had great results. The company direction then became to use ADSM at
*all* locations in the organization. Good idea, but we've got some real
small sites. Small as in 1 lone NT server at the end of a slow WAN.

Because the site's so small, we want to keep changing tapes and other tasks
to a minimum.  Here's today's issue: After ADSM migrates data to tape, ADSM
dismounts the tape resulting in a tape eject from the drive. (In this case
we're using an internal DDS3 4mm on an NT box.)   I'd like the tape to stay
in the drive all week until the local operator swaps tapes for a DB backup.

The manual says that the "MountRetention" setting on the DevClass can go up
to 9999 minutes, which works out to 6.9 days. That's cutting it a bit close,
considering that some weeks the tape may only be used for a scheduled
migration to tape.

Any ideas? (Any other tips for small servers also welcome!)

Mitchell Ross                           mailto:mitch.ross AT ncgroup DOT com
CompuCom Systems, Inc.          http://www.ncgroup.com
The Source for Technology Deployment Processes and Standards