ADSM-L

Re: NT backup failure

1999-01-12 08:51:13
Subject: Re: NT backup failure
From: Nathan King <nathan.king AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 07:51:13 -0600
I received several errors like the first that you mentioned.
        01/10/1999 22:13:34 PrivIncrFileSpace: Received rc=167 from
        fioGetDirEntries:  \\wntdisk\e$  \homedirs\CCDV540\Doc4
Backups\Eudora
Folder\Help Desk Stuff\Remark?Ehelp

See this technote from Microsoft.

SFM Converts Macintosh HFS Filenames to NTFS Unicode
Last reviewed: December 5, 1997
Article ID: Q117258

Microsoft Windows NT Server versions 3.5, 3.51, and 4.0

SUMMARY
Microsoft Windows NT Services for Macintosh (SFM) makes it possible for
Macintosh clients to create filenames on SFM server volumes that appear to
contain characters that are illegal in NTFS filenames, but are legal
characters in Macintosh HFS filenames. These include the (ANSI) characters
0x01-0x1F and " * / \ < > ? | .

MORE INFORMATION
Because NTFS is Unicode-based, when a Macintosh client creates a filename on
an SFM volume, it must be converted from Macintosh ANSI to Unicode by SFM
before being passed to NTFS. Because SFM does the conversion, it can define
Unicode values that invalid NTFS characters will map to. It does so by using
the Private Use Area range of the Unicode standard.

The following list describes the Unicode character values that can be used
in NTFS filenames created by Windows NT applications that, when viewed by
Macintosh clients, will appear as the equivalent Macintosh ANSI "invalid"
NTFS filename characters:

   Macintosh ANSI  Unicode
   -----------------------------
   0x01-0x1F       0xF001-0xF01F
   "               0xF020
   *               0xF021
   /               0xF022
   <               0xF023
   >               0xF024
   ?               0xF025
   \               0xF026
   |               0xF027

In addition, the following three characters are also mapped to the Unicode
Private Use Area:

   Macintosh ANSI                                                  Unicode
   Space (0x20)                                                     0xF028
   only if occurring as the last character of the name

   Period (0x2E)                                                    0xF029
   only if occurring as the last character of the name

   Apple's apple logo character (0xF0)                              0xF02A

A space or a period at the end of a filename is not legal in the Win32 name
space, but is common in Macintosh file naming practice. Hence, these are
mapped to alternate Unicode characters by SFM so that they are accessible by
File Manager and other Win32 applications. There is no Unicode equivalent of
Apple's apple logo character, therefore it too is mapped to the Private Use
Area.
Note: Remember that any unicode mapping done on a filename will make that
file inaccessible to windows 95 on other windows clients since only NT
supports unicode.

***************************************
In my situation I traced each of these files origins to the Apple Macintosh.
It then became clear what was happening.
I was able to resolve this issue with the client by upgrading to v3.1.0.6
and leaving the default setting for USEUNICODEFILENAMES which is YES. You
will not be able to backup these files if unicode support is turned off.

This error could also have stemmed from international characters in the
filenames. Once again the solution is to upgrade to v3.1.0.6, however you
can choose to make USEUNICODEFILENAMES YES or NO. However if you choose YES
it will appear that ADSM is backing up junk characters in the filenames -
this is because the ADSM Client is not yet fully unicode compliant. Despite
the junk characters that appear in the backup you CAN still reliably backup
and recover these files. When restored these files look exactly as they did
when backed up (with all accents entact).

I decided to set USEUNICODEFILENAMES to YES as my filespaces contain a
mixture of the above cases.

Regards,

Nathan King