ADSM-L

Offsite Reclamations Hang

2015-10-04 17:48:51
Subject: Offsite Reclamations Hang
From: Glass, Peter
To: 'LISTSERV AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU'
Hello, all!
We are running ADSM MVS-OS390 V3 R2.0, and are having problems with Offsite
Tape Reclamation.
Because we have 5 daily vault runs, we also have 5 daily schedules to update
any Offsite tapes that are onsite to acc=offsite. We also run offsite
reclamations through much of the week, which often overlap the scheduled
offsite update commands.
 If a tape designated for offsite happens to be in a drive when the update
command is executed, its status is updated to Offsite, and it then
dismounts. No further output tapes are called for by the reclamation. The
input tape stays in the drive.
The reclamation process just hangs at this point. Not only can we not get
the reclamation to continue, we also cannot get the process to end, neither
by resetting the reclamation threshold to 100%, nor by canceling the
process-the process just sits in a cancel pending status. We've tried
canceling the mount through ADSM, and we've tried various MVS tricks to get
the drive to let go of the tape, all without success. In short, all we can
do is stop and restart the Server.
We never had this problem under Version 2. I recall seeing threads sometime
back regarding the canceling of Offsite reclamations, and, if I remember
right, the problem was supposedly fixed at the 2.0 level maintenance.
Has anybody encountered this problem?
Any ideas on how we can get around this one?
We've turned off all Offsite reclamation, pending a resolution. Allowing our
Offsite pool to mushroom in size with all that unreclaimed tape seems a
better alternative to having to bounce our Server several times a week.
Thanks in advance.