ADSM-L

Re: Sharing a 3494 between ADSM servers using 1 scratch category

1999-01-11 09:27:36
Subject: Re: Sharing a 3494 between ADSM servers using 1 scratch category
From: Daniel Whicker <heimdall AT MAIL DOT ORG>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 08:27:36 -0600
>> I wish to share a 3494 between 2 AIX ADSM V3 servers where both servers
>> have a common scratch pool. The previous references to this suggest that
>> a 3494 can be shared between ADSM servers using separate scratch pools,
>> but no mention of the same scratch pool.

Because of the problems with getting the two databases in sync with one
another, you can't really do this.

>> 1) Does ADSM call for a scratch tape ( & let the lmcp work out which
>> volume it gets) or does it call for a particular volume that would be in
>> a q libvol as scratch? If its the second I think we could get a "scratch
>> volume denied" type message.

I'm not quite certain on this, but I think it calls for the tape from the
database, and not the 3494.

>> 2) We have to do a checkin search=yes on both systems regularly & a aud
>> libr to sync the libvol info across both systems.

What I would recommend doing with this is using two distinctly different
sets of labels, one type for each server.  For instance, try A00000 for
server A and the B00000 series for server B.  When you do this, you could
use the version 3 "VOLRANGE=VOL1,VOL2" option to your checkin.  ie:

ADSM> checkin libv atl3494 search=yes volrange=a00000,a99999 status=scratch
devt=3590

                                                                        -Daniel
                Daniel Whicker  (heimdall AT mail DOT org)