ADSM-L

[no subject]

2015-10-04 17:48:51
shanesmith AT WESTPAC.COM DOT AU wrote:
#We have three 3570 units, and it gets confusing when checking the offsite tape
pools - 'cos all tapes look the same.
#We currently draw some dirty big permanent-marker lines on the cartridges to
highlight which ADSM machine the cartridge belongs to.

<Two cents mode>
   Why can you not use those self-adhesive letters that are used for labelling
9-track tapes, (you know the big round tapes, that usually
   roll around the floor spewing mag tape strip when you drop them whilst
trying to load them into the drive)? I know that you can get these
   fairly easily/cheaply, since the old reel tapes are still in use for
mainframes.

   Just put "A", "B" or "C" as appropriate somewhere easy to see, and
preferably somewhere that the tape drive mechanism doesn't
   rub against, so that the label doesn't get removed while in use.
   (Do this at your own risk - I claim zero resposibility for any damage caused
by labels coming adrift)

   One story I heard was that another company had four tape drives, named with
girls names, and used one of these strip label making
   machines (Brother P-Touch, Dymo, etc) to make labels with the drive names to
stick on the tapes themselves. Maybe this would be a
   better solution as you could name and  colour coordinate the labels. Surely
this would be cheaper/easier than having to make/buy
   special tapes?
</Two cents mode>

Regards,

Bob Cross.

--Boundary_(ID_9203OBZv5L/Mmr9WOb1R2Q)--