ADSM-L

Re: Problem with bad tape in the Storage pool and reclamation of Stor age Pool using a 3570.

1999-01-07 08:23:47
Subject: Re: Problem with bad tape in the Storage pool and reclamation of Stor age Pool using a 3570.
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 08:23:47 -0500
>We have a 3570 with only a single tape unit acting as our Storage Pool. One
>of the tapes may be going a bit flaky and I would like to move the data held
>on the tape to one of the other tapes so I can ensure data can be retrieved.
>Unfortunately the disk pool I have is not big enough to hold all the data on
>the tape.

Like so much of ADSM, Move Data is itself incremental.  You could thus
approach the task in pieces, by invoking a Move Data to the disk storage pool,
cancel the process just before the disk fills, move that disk data to another
tape; lather, rinse, repeat.  But tell your budgeter that the folks on ADSM-L
say that you should have another tape drive, which over time will be cheaper
than all the personnel time being spent compensating for the absence of it.
    Richard Sims, BU