ADSM-L

Questions regarding upgrade of Breeshill library.

1999-01-05 18:25:59
Subject: Questions regarding upgrade of Breeshill library.
From: John Schneider <jdschn AT IBM DOT NET>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 17:25:59 -0600
Greetings ADSM'ers,
    I have a customer with a ADSM server running 3.1.2.0 on a
Sun Solaris Enterprise 3500.  They currently have two Breeshill
Q2.15 libraries and are about to add a third.  Soon they plan
to replace them a Q47 4 drive library.  All have DLT7000 tape
drives.
    My concern is, will ADSM have any problem?  We plan to
define the Q47's DLT's the same as the current Q2.15 drives;
same device class and device names, etc.
    To replace the libraries with the Q47 we were going to:

1) Back up the ADSM database,
2) Back up the devconfig and volhist files, etc.
3) Checkout libvol all the volumes out of the Q2.15's.
4) Remove the library and drive definitions for the
Q2.15's.
5) Shutdown the ADSM server and the system.
6) Remove the Q2.15's and install the Q47.
7) Start up the system and ADSM server.
8) Define the Q47 drives and library.
9) Checkin libvol all the old volumes in to
the Q47.
10) Test restores of previously backed up data.
11) Test new backups and restores.

Am I missing something? I do not plan to change any
of the storage pool definitions, or the device class.
Do I have to use the same name for the Q47 library
that was used for one of the Q2.15s in order for it
to recognize the tapes?  It doesn't seem to me like
that should matter, but I thought it better to ask.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.
John

* John D. Schneider       Email: jdschn AT ibm DOT net * Phone: 314-349-4556
* Lowery Systems, Inc.
* 1329 Horan                  Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are
* Fenton, MO 63026                   mine and mine alone.