ADSM-L

DB recovery benchmarks

1998-12-28 11:48:30
Subject: DB recovery benchmarks
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 11:48:30 -0500
Some time ago on the list there was a question about how long it should take
to restore the ADSM data base.

Last week I had occasion to roll our data base back to a prior level for a
while.
(It was a security/political issue, no hardware or software problems.)
For those interested, here are some real world timings:

Environment:
ADSM V2.1.5.13 for AIX
RS6000 J30, 4 processors

Data base is 8GB, 90% utilized,
located on an STK9131 external RAID5 array
(It's Clariion disk under the covers)

Recovery log and log mirror are 3GB,
located on separate internal 9GB hard disks.

Tape is DLT 7000 in an STK 9710 robot, FW SCSI controller

BACKUP DB:
BACKUP DB type=full, direct to tape with no other ADSM activity:
        30 minutes (1 tape mount, 1808897 pages)

DSMSERV RESTORE DB:
The dsmserv RESTORE DB, restore to a point in time
(includes reformatting the recovery log):
         74 minutes.

Every time I deal with managing the ADSM data base, I get more impressed
with the product!