ADSM-L

Migration from DISKPOOL with maxpr=2 query

1998-12-18 04:24:24
Subject: Migration from DISKPOOL with maxpr=2 query
From: Nolan Rogers <RogersN AT CGTECHS.DEMON.CO DOT UK>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 09:24:24 +0000
Dear all,

We have recently set up our ADSM server so that the nightly incrementals
backup to a large disk pool(BACKUPPOOL) which is then copied to our
DR_TAPEPOOL after the incrementals complete.
At the moment, BACKUPPOOL is filling up during the night, forcing some
automatic migration to the internal tapepool to occur.
What I do not understand is why the BACKUPPOOL is showing only 40.5%
(Pct Migr) left to migrate in the morning, surely this should be 80%
(hi=90 lo=80) in accordance with the parameters shown below. Looking
Does the fact that we are using two migration processes (migpr=2) have
any effect on this?? Also does anyone have any experience at using other
values for these parameters (hi and lo) in this type of scenario as I
would like to increase them to utilize more of the disk pool.
We have seen much greater performance writing the DR_TAPEPOOL tapes from
disk and are about to increase the size of the diskpool to contain the
whole nights incremental data but I would like to use all of the
existing diskpool first!

adsm> q stg backuppool f=d

               Storage Pool Name: BACKUPPOOL
               Storage Pool Type: Primary
               Device Class Name: DISK
         Estimated Capacity (MB): 46,080.0
                        Pct Util: 98.5
                        Pct Migr: 40.5
                     Pct Logical: 100.0
                    High Mig Pct: 90
                     Low Mig Pct: 80
             Migration Processes: 2
               Next Storage Pool: TAPEPOOL1
            Reclaim Storage Pool:
          Maximum Size Threshold: No Limit
                          Access: Read/Write
               Overflow Location:
           Cache Migrated Files?: Yes
                      Collocate?:
           Reclamation Threshold:
 Maximum Scratch Volumes Allowed:
   Delay Period for Volume Reuse:
          Migration in Progress?: No
            Amount Migrated (MB): 31,321.11
Elapsed Migration Time (seconds): 7,900
        Reclamation in Progress?:
 Volume Being Migrated/Reclaimed:
  Last Update by (administrator): ADMIN
           Last Update Date/Time: 17/12/98   21:00:01

Thanks to all the people who have helped me so far,

Regards,

Nolan Rogers
Cheltenham & Gloucester PLC