ADSM-L

Security Issue - How to locate all copies of a file?

1998-12-16 16:30:46
Subject: Security Issue - How to locate all copies of a file?
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 16:30:46 -0500
I need (for security reasons) to identify all the tapes that contain backup
versions of a particular file, and physically destroy/degauss the tapes.

If I do "show volumeusage" for a node, it lists all the tapes containing
files for that node IN THE PRIMARY TAPE POOL, but not the copy pools.

The only thing I can think of, is to crank up the client, RESTORE a version
of the file to identify the tape it is on, mark the tape as DESTROYED, and
repeat the process until I identify all the tapes in the COPY pools.

There's got to be a way to do this!
We are ADSM V2 on AIX 4.2.1, about to convert to V3.

Thanks
Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert