ADSM-L

Migrate ADSM Server

1998-12-16 10:01:01
Subject: Migrate ADSM Server
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:01:01 -0500
>      did anybody already migrate an ADSM server on OS/390 to AIX?
>
>      We will have to transfer the client data to the new machine. The
>      problem we are facing is that we use 3490 tapes with OS/390 ADSM
> and
>      3590 with the new AIX ADSM system and therefore have no tape export
>
>      medium. Now I thought if it was possible to export data to and
> import
>      from disk or something likely.
>
>      Can somebody help me?
>
>      Matthias

If both servers are at Version 3 you could use server to server facilities to
export client data from OS/390 to virtual volumes on AIX and then import from
the virtual volumes to the AIX server itself. This approach is discussed in
detail in a pre-publication version of an IBM Redbook. I found this at:

  http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/SG245244/sg245207.html#HDRIMPEXP

You might be able to export on OS/390 to a device class with the FILE device
type, use FTP to transfer the resulting disk files to AIX, and import from a
device class with the FILE device type. I don't know of anyone who has done
that, and I am not at all sure it would work. It might, for example, fail
because of different treatment of record boundaries under the two operating
systems.