ADSM-L

SAP Backint client for ADSM reporting server errors

1998-12-15 06:51:43
Subject: SAP Backint client for ADSM reporting server errors
From: Robert Howson <robert.howson AT ASPECT.COM DOT AU>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 21:51:43 +1000
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone else out there can tell me something about a
problem a client of ours has been experiencing with the SAP Backint client
for ADSM.

For a number of months now, the client has been backing up a SAP R3
application using an Oracle DB (v7) running on Sun Solaris (v2.5) with the
Backint client for SAP R3 developed by IBM Germany. This has been working
fine until recently when it started to occasionally spit the odd warning
message about a file changing while being backed up.

Normally this message would not be a problem, however it is associated with
a server error message. A sample of the output follows:

ADSM reason from session 1: 'ANS1301E (RC1)    Server detected system
error'ADSM
 error from session 1: 'ANS0302I (RC0)    Successfully done.'BKI1125W: The
object
'/oracle/PRD/sapdata1/btabd_4/btabd.data4' will be retried [2].
BKI1125W: The object '/oracle/PRD/sapdata5/btabi_3/btabi.data3' will be
retried[2].
BKI1125W: The object '/oracle/PRD/sapdata6/user1d_1/user1d.data1' will be
retried [2].
BKI1125W: The object '/oracle/PRD/sapdata4/proti_1/proti.data1' will be
retried[2].

Apparently the backup splits the files into lots of 4 for backup to ADSM.
If one of the files in a group changes, ADSM will retry for the whole
group. I should add that in all cases where the above messages have
appeared, the retry has eventually resulted in a successful backup of the
files.

Backups take place while the application is up and data is being written to
the DB. This of course means that the DB will inevtiably change during a
backup. Normally this is not a problem as the components being backed up
are not the components being updated. Sometimes however, the two do
coincide.

What the customer is concerned about is that the errors being produced may
indicate a problem that will impact their ability to recover the data in
the event of a disaster. The customer is arguing that these messages should
not appear at all as for many months no error messages of the type above
were seen at all. There have been no changes in the level of ADSM, SAP or
Oracle software duing this period.

What I would like to know is, is the customer right to be concerned? Should
these error messages be appearing at all? Does the ANS1301E message have
any further significance?

Please respond with any information as this may be relevant.

Cheers
Robert Howson
ADSM Consultant
Aspect Computing Australia