ADSM-L

Performance problems with ADSM/VM 2.1.0.17 and restore of inactiv e files

1998-12-11 08:07:18
Subject: Performance problems with ADSM/VM 2.1.0.17 and restore of inactiv e files
From: "Rupp Thomas (Illwerke)" <thomas.rupp AT ILLWERKE.CO DOT AT>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 14:07:18 +0100
Hi ADSM'ers,

I'm still having a big performance problem if I try to restore inactive
files.
If I do a

DSMC RESTORE \\node2\f$\Illwerke\ER\Dokumente\ER\ALLG\AV\*.*
-PICK -FROMDATE=01/12/1998 -INACTIVE
ADSM returns 83 files. It takes ~40 minutes to get the list displayed.
ADSM returns 83 files. It takes ~40 minutes to get the list displayed.
During this time DSMSERV is running at 60% CPU and 95 I/O's per
second.
It takes 2.3 million database buffer requests. Cache hit rate is ~92%.

I tried to increase the bufferpoolsize on the server from 512K to 4M
but that didn't make any difference.

If I restore active files using the GUI it works as expected. Is my
opinion
correct that the ADSM server accesses active files directly and has to
sequentially read through the whole database for ianctive files?

Is there anything I can do to improve performance? Do you think this
is a problem related to Version 2 or to VM?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards
Thomas Rupp
Vorarlberger Illwerke AG
MAIL:   thomas.rupp AT illwerke.co DOT at
TEL:    ++43/5574/4991-251
FAX:    ++43/5574/4991-820-8251