ADSM-L

Migration to other adsm srv

1998-12-09 03:49:10
Subject: Migration to other adsm srv
From: Herwig Evenepoel <Herwig.Evenepoel AT KB DOT BE>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 09:49:10 +0100
Hi,

We are using adsm srv version 2 running on OS/2 and we have the following
problem :

1.We have an adsm srv (srv1) with a tape lib dlt4700 (1drive, 7 tapes).
In this srv we have a copy storage pool (3 tapes) and an accompanying adsm db
(db06) tape

2.We want to move from this server to a new server (stk srv) with a stk9714 (2
drives, 40 tapes).
Here we have a new adsm srv running, we do a checkin of the db tape db06.
In this way the adsm server is aware of the db06 tape. We stop the server, issue
the command 'dsmserv restore db devi=dlt4000 vol=db06 commit=yes'

This works fine, the adsm db of srv1 is restored. We restart the adsm server
and have ofcourse
the problem of a different tape lib.
We can define the new tape lib on this server after the restore db.

However, on the adsm console we have an error because the adsm srv knows he has
the tapes
of the copy storagepool in different slots and so on.

Q : How can we let forget adsm about the placement of the tapes. I believe that
somewhere
outside the adsm db there is a mechanisme to retain the tape information.
Because :

In the new server I do a checkin of a db tape of the old system. When I stop
the adsm srv and start
the dmserv restore db command, adsm knows where to look for the db06 tape in
the stk lib.

We are interested in a solution, not only for the move of the adsm server, but
especially in case
of a disaster when we have to use a different tape lib. For the move I know
there are also the
export commands.

Thanks,

Herwig Evenepoel