ADSM-L

Re: Reuse delay period.

1998-12-09 04:59:26
Subject: Re: Reuse delay period.
From: "Toora, Kuli" <kulbinder.toora AT EXCHANGE.MEB.CO DOT UK>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 09:59:26 -0000
Dave,

Have you tried the IBM recommended 'work around' for this problem?

I was recommended 2 methods to solve this issue. Here is the text that i was
sent from IBM :

For the AS.Volume.Assignment table:

1 - Run a Q VOL to get a list of the volumes, their estimated
    capacity and percent utilized.
2 - For each of the tape volumes multiply the estimated capacity
    by the percent utilized to determine if the volume currently
    contains between 2G and 4G of data.  Since rounding errors
    can occur in the calculation allow for a little under 2G
    and a little over 4G as volumes that are suspected as
    having the problem.

3 - For the tapes that contain between 2g and 4g of data do a
    move data on these volumes.

Make sure that there are no clients backing up data, and no
expiration or migration activity is occurring since these can
change the utilization on the tape volumes.  This is an
iterative process since the move data can cause new tapes to
have between 2G and 4G of utilization.

To permanently correct this problem if it was discovered after
migrating to V2 do the following:

1) Obtain and install the latest Version 2 server (Level
   0.2/0.2 or higher) from your service representative.

2) Specify a device configuration file in the server options
   file using the DEVCONFIG parameter. Device configuration
   will be written to this file by the server when device
   classes are changed or when the BACKUP DEVCONFIG command is
   specified at the server console or from an administrative
   client.
   example:

   On AIX, OS/2, and VM:
   DEVCONFIG /usr/lpp/adsmserv/device.configuration

   On MVS:
   DEVCONFIG 'ADSM.DEVICE.DEFS'
    Device class information in the device configuration file is
    used by the server when running in stand-alone mode to
    access all device class information required to mount
    volumes.

 3) Start the server and issue the BACKUP DEVCONFIG command to
    copy server device class information to the device
    configuration file.

 4) When the server is not active with client, migration,
    reclamation, or backup stgpool operations HALT the server
    using the QUIESCE option:

          HALT QUIESCE

    This command should be entered at the server console or from
    an administrative client.

 5) Use the stand-alone DUMPDB command to copy the server
   database to sequential media:

 On AIX, OS/2, and VM:
 dsmserv -t AS.Volume.Assignment dumpdb dev=myclass vol=myvol

 On MVS:
//SERVER EXEC PGM=ANRSERV,

// PARM='/-t AS.Volume.Assignment DUMPDB DEV=MYCLASS VOL=MYVOL'

   The table name AS.Volume.Assignment is CASE-SENSITIVE and
   must be entered exactly as specified above.  If the problem
   was with the DF.MigrCandidates substitute that table name
   in place of AS.Volume.Assignment in the example.  This table
   name is also case sensitive.

6) Use the stand-alone database load utility to re-load the
   AS.Volume.Assignment object. The following command
   illustrates the syntax to perform this operation:
 On AIX, OS/2, and VM:
 dsmserv -t AS.Volume.Assignment loaddb dev=myclass vol=myvol

 On MVS:
//SERVER EXEC PGM=ANRSERV,
// PARM='/-t AS.Volume.Assignment LOADDB DEV=MYCLASS VOL=MYVOL'

   The table name AS.Volume.Assignment is CASE-SENSITIVE and
   must be entered exactly as specified above.  If the problem
   was with the DF.MigrCandidates substitute that table name
   in place of AS.Volume.Assignment in the example.  This table
   name is also case sensitive.

7) If the server was halted with quiesce then you can
   safely ignore the message that states an AUDIT is
   required.  The AUDIT DB does NOT need to be performed.

8) Restart the ADSM server and resume normal operation.

The Level 0.2/0.2 (or higher) ADSM server will prevent this
situation from re-occurring.

We apologize for this error and will assist in an way possible
with these corrective actions.

>>> Here is method 2 :

The way to correct is is still to dump and reload the
table using DUMPDB and LOADDB as outlined in II08975.
As you say, this was for a different problem, but the correction of the
symptoms is the same.

Sounds like you're getting this message every hour when expiration
runs.  I think we might be able to avoid the need to dump/load the
Volume Assignments table.

  The Reuse delay is used for tape volumes in Copy Stgpools. When
reclamation runs on the Copypool volumes are returned to scratch only
after the reuse delay period (to give you time to get the new volumes
written to by reclamation offsite). Sounds like this process has gone
wrong somewhere.

Check your reuse delay period qy doing Q STGPOOL F=D for the copypool.
Then do:  Q VOL * STATUS=PENDING F=D
to see if you have any volumes in pending state. If you have, you
should be able to move the data off and then delete the volume. There
should be no need to use discarddata=yes.  If you can remove any
volumes in this state I think the ANR0104E messages will stop.

>>>END

Deleting the volumes manually 'seems' to have stopped the problem as the
message is no longer
appearing on our ADSM log.

If you need any more info drop me a mail on the address below.

Thanks,

Kuli.

Kulbinder Toora
01384 296191 x3498
e-mail - Kulbinder.toora AT meb.co DOT uk

This outgoing e-mail (and any attachments) has been checked
(using Dr Solomon's v7.90) at MEB (UK 01384 296191) before
despatch, and has been found to be clean from any virus infection.