ADSM-L

Re: Change db/log volume location

1998-12-07 22:18:51
Subject: Re: Change db/log volume location
From: "Thomas A. La Porte" <tlaporte AT ANIM.DREAMWORKS DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 19:18:51 -0800
The ADSM Administrator's Guide does a very good job of explaining
the database space requirements, particularly from page 290
forward (in the AIX version of the manual).

The amount of information held in the database is relatively
fixed, which if you think about it makes sense. In order to
satisfy the functionality of a backup/recovery situation, a
certain amount of information about a backed up file needs to be
maintained. These are things like file names, timestamps,
ownership information, location of the data, etc.

The database growth should stabilize over time, unless you are
continually adding new clients. If your system has been operating
for several weeks with the same set of clients, and your database
is still growing rapidly, you may wish to examine the settings in
your management classes. You may be storing more backup versions
of your files than are really necessary--the VEREXISTS parameter
of the backup copy group defines the number of versions of a
single file ADSM will keep. Alternatively, you may be keeping
backup copies of files long after they have been deleted on the
client side--the VERDELETED, RETEXTRA, and RETONLY parameters of
the backup copy group define how many versions to keep after the
file has been deleted from the local workstation, and how long to
keep the extra and last backup copies of that file.

When we first installed ADSM nearly three years ago, we were
initially concerned by the apparently never-ending growth of the
database. Over time, however, as the number of clients
stabilized, the growth of the database has stabilized, albeit at
a very high number. For reference, we backup approximately 250
clients, primarily Unix workstations, and several large
(multi-terabyte) file servers. Our cumulative database size for
two ADSM servers is approximately 70GB.

 -- Tom

Thomas A. La Porte
DreamWorks Feature Animation