ADSM-L

Raid or no?

1998-12-07 10:52:26
Subject: Raid or no?
From: Adam Slesinger <aslesinger AT US.BNSMC DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 10:52:26 -0500
Fellow Adsmers,

We are starting to set up adsm and we are trying to decide whether or
not to set up our eight 9GB drives as a raid array or whether we should
treat them as regular disks.  The adsm consultant says that it would be
best to put the database and log on one disk and then, through adsm,
have it mirrored on another disk.  The remaining 6 disks would be used
for the client data which would be migrated to tape soon after going to
disk.  The other option is to set 7 disks in a raid array and have the
eight as a hot spare.  I am under the impression that this option is not
recommended by IBM but cannot be sure.  Has anyone out there had
experiences using a raid array as a primary storage pool?  Thanks!

adam