ADSM-L

Re: select from volumes

1998-12-02 18:52:56
Subject: Re: select from volumes
From: Simon Watson <Simon.S.Watson AT OPENMAIL.FIC32.BSPSER.SIMIS DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 07:52:56 +0800
Tina,

I suspect there is something wrong with your select statement, or
possibly a bug in the way it is picking up the information.  I would
trust the q vol commmand myself.

From Andreas comment I would say you should have some tapes in pending
state if you are doing any tape reclamation or moves.  The pending
tapes are controlled by reuse delay period set on a storage pool and is
necessary if you ever want to roll back your database to a previous day
(or two).  We keep our database backups for 10 days, so we can rollback
a maximum of 10 days, which I hope we never have to do!  However if we
do have to rollback we would need the tapes that were in use at the
previous date to not to have been overwritten.  This is where these
parameters come into play.  The tape is just left in pending state
until it has passed the reuse delay period and then it is released back
into the scratch pool.

We have our reuse delay period for all tape pools set at 3 (days).  It
should be longer but at the moment we are a bit short on tapes!

Regards,
Simon