ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and Virtual Tape Server

1998-12-02 11:18:03
Subject: Re: ADSM and Virtual Tape Server
From: Jeff Connor <connorj AT NIMO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 11:18:03 -0500
We also have a VTS and decided to use native Magstar instead.  You may have
something when you mention a lot of reclaimation would occur using the VTS
with ADSM.  We decided it was a bad idea to use the VTS  with ADSM since it
would cause a large amount of recalls for logical volumes back to the
volume cache.  Since ADSM appends to a tape until its full, you would have
to have a very long cache residency time for your VTS virtual volumes
containing ADSM data to keep backend recalls to a minimum.  Native Magstar
is ideal for ADSM since it is very good at keeping tapes full.  Unless your
VTS cache is huge or almost exclusively dedicated to ADSM I think native
Magstar is a better bet.

In regards to your two other MVS related questions, the suffix for ADSM MVS
datasets names is BFS.  So if you use SYS2 for prefix in your device class
definition the result would be SYS2.BFS.  I'm more familiar with VTS and
CA-1 but I assume the 3494 is the same as far as making them aware of each
other.  I believe the cartridge entry exit CBRUXENT is required for volume
status sychronization I.E scratch or not.  I think there is a write up on
3495 support in the CA-1 System Guide which are the same requirements for
3494 support.  Would have to look it up to give you more specifics.  If you
have the CA-1 manuals on CD-ROM you can search on 3495 to find it. We don't
vault our ADSM tapes so I can't help you much there.

Hope this helps,

Jeff Connor
Niagara Mohawk Power Corp.
Syracuse NY

Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU> on 12/02/98 10:23:56 AM