ADSM-L

MVS server with DRM, CA-1, and 3494

1998-12-02 09:57:11
Subject: MVS server with DRM, CA-1, and 3494
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 09:57:11 -0500
My site is preparing to install an ADSM Version 3 server with DRM on an MVS
system. We are also planning to install an IBM 3494 automatic tape library.
The MVS system uses CA-1 for tape management, and currently uses the CA-1
vault management system to manage the movement of MVS backup tapes to and from
an offsite vault. I have some questions about the interactions among the
various products that will be involved in managing ADSM offsite backups.

A site that installed a 3494 has put up a Web page describing their
experiences, which makes reference to "turning on IBM 3494 support" in CA-1.
The Web page does not give further details on this point, and have no so not
found any description of the procedure for enabling 3494 support in our CA-1
manuals. What is involved in enabling 3494 support for CA-1?

The CA-1 vault management system writes a file containing information about
volumes that need to be moved. We would like to have volumes scheduled to go
offsite ejected from the 3494 automatically. As far as I can tell, this
entails writing a CA-EARL report definition that converts the vault management
system output into a series of EJECT commands for CA-1's 3494 utility program.
Is this conclusion correct? Is a sample of such a report definition available
somewhere?

We will eventually want expired ADSM tapes to come back on site. As far as I
can tell from reading various product manuals, we can set up the following
sequence of events to accomplish this:

1.The MOVE DRMEDIA commands finds volumes with a status of VAULTRETRIEVE and
updates them to ONSITERETRIEVE.
2.ADSM invokes a user exit that tells CA-1 to return the tapes to scratch
status (we are planning to have all ADSM output tapes taken from a scratch
pool).
3.The CA-1 vault management system writes information indicating that the
tapes returned to scratch status should be brought back from the vault.
4.A CA-EARL report definition converts the information into a picking list for
vault personnel.
5.The returned tapes are loaded into the 3494.
6.OAM is notified of the returned tapes.
7.OAM invokes a user exit that asks CA-1 what category code the newly loaded
tapes should have.
8.OAM tells the 3494 controller to give the tapes the category code for
scratch volumes.

Will this sequence work as I expect? I am somewhat unhappy about the way
ONSITERETRIEVE status is used in the above procedure. We are telling ADSM that
tape volumes are back on site in order to trigger the sequence of events that
actually gets the volumes back on site. Is there a simple and efficient way to
get tapes back on site without lying to ADSM?