ADSM-L

Re: need help setting up ADSM

1998-11-25 23:10:55
Subject: Re: need help setting up ADSM
From: Mike Collins <emcollin AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 21:10:55 -0700
Ben Castles writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I'm new to ADSM, and I'm trying to set it up on an NT 4.0 server so to
use it to back up our Domino Servers.
 > The ADSM server is supposed to run on our fileserver which uses Netbios.
The problem I'm getting is that
 > when I go to use the wizards to set things up I get this error:
 >
 > "Failed to issue a command to the server.  Click Ok to see why."
 > followed by
 >
 > "ANS5658E TCP/IP failure
 > ANS5519E  Unable to establish session with server
 > ANS5103I  Highest return code was -50"
 >
 > The ADSM server was running at the time, and said:\
 > "ANR82251   Netbios drivers ready for connection with clients on adapter
0"

 > I have set up Netbios using the Server Options Window, turning TCP/IP
off, and turning NetBios on.
 > I saved these settings,  stopped and started the server again, but with
the same results.

 > I'd appreciate any help on this.
 >
 > Thanks
 > -Ben Castles

Hi Ben,

The wizards connect to the server using tcp/ip by default.  The proceedure
to use a different protocol with the wizards is as follows.  Note that I
highly recommend using either named pipes or tcp/ip rather than NetBIOS if
at all possible.

To use NetBIOS:

Configure ADSM server:

1) from the desktop, click on the server utilities icon to start the server
utilities
2) from the main menu, choose Options | NetBIOS | Enable NetBIOS
3) from the main menu, choose File | Open
4) on the NetBIOS panel
  a) ensure the "Enable NetBIOS for ADSM client/server communications"
checkbox is checked
  b) For Name, type in the NetBIOS name of the computer and click Add.
Delete any other entries from the name list.
      (For example, if your computer's name is earth you would add earth to
the name list)
  c) For Lan Adapter, type in 0 and click Add. Delete any other entries
from the lan adapter list.
5) from the main menu, choose File | Save, then File | Close
6) if the server was started as a console, shut it down by typing in "halt"
at the ADSM command prompt. If the server was started as a service click on
"Service Information" in the tree view, right-click on the ADSM Server
entry, and click Stop.
7) Start the server as a service by clicking on "Service Information" in
the tree view, right-click on the ADSM Server entry, and click Start.

The server is now ready to accept NetBIOS connections.

Configure the Wizards:

1) click on "Service Information" in the tree view, then click on the "ADSM
Server Console Monitor" tab and click on Options.  This will start notepad
with the options file that the wizards, console monitor, and command prompt
share (dsm.opt in the utils directory).

2) comment out the TCP/IP commmethod line by placing a * at the beginning
of the line, ex:

  *commmethod       TCPIP

3) uncomment out the NetBIOS commmethod line and update the parameters, ex:

commmethod            netbios
netbiosname              earth
netbiosservername earth

4) Save changes and exit notepad.

The wizards, console monitor, and command prompt are now ready to connect
to the local server using NetBIOS.

To test:

1) While still on the "ADSM Server Console Monitor" tab, click the start
button.  You should see a message saying that a session was established
with the server.  If not, you will see an error message and will have to
resolve accordingly.  After any problem is resolved, you'll have to click
Stop, then Start to retry.

2) Click the stop button to stop the console monitor.  (Note that this step
is req'd because it looks like the server will only allow one NetBIOS
session per named client and if the console monitor (or other client) is
connected using "netbiosname earth" then no other client (or wizard) can
connect using "netbiosname earth."
This is not a problem for the other protocols...)

3) The wizards should run using NetBIOS.

==================================

To use Named Pipes:

Configure the Server

The server is configured to use named pipes by default so although you
could update parameters in the same way that was done for NetBIOS there
should normally not be any reason to do so.

Configure the Wizards:

1) click on "Service Information" in the tree view, then click on the "ADSM
Server Console Monitor" tab and click on Options.  This will start notepad
with the options file that the wizards, console monitor, and command prompt
share.

2) comment out the TCP/IP commmethod line by placing a * at the beginning
of the line, ex:

  *commmethod       TCPIP

3) uncomment out the Named Pipes commmethod line and use the default
parameters, ex:

commmethod namedpipe
namedpipename \\.\pipe\adsmpipe

4) Save changes and exit notepad.

The wizards, console monitor, and command prompt are now ready to connect
to the local server using Named Pipes.

To test:

1) While still on the "ADSM Server Console Monitor" tab, click the start
button.  You should see a message saying that a session was established
with the server.  If not, you will see an error message and will have to
resolve accordingly.

2) The wizards, console monitor and command prompt should all run using
Named Pipes. (no need to stop the console monitor)

Note that Named Pipes is recommended and will provide much better
performance than NetBIOS.

Regards,

Mike Collins
ADSM Development