ADSM-L

[no subject]

2015-10-04 17:51:04
Date: 25 November 1998
  To: I1017261                             IBMMAIL
From: Mr. Guy Sheppard                     CGU5         Consultant

Subject: (DRM) Managing offsite tapes

 Dear All,

 Hiya and help please..

 I've setup an NT ADMS server (3.1.2.0) backing up a number of SP nodes,
various levels of AIX. The server is using an STK9730 with 4*DLT4000 tape
drives. No problems at all thus far.

 However, One thing I find missing from ADSM is the ability to 'automatically'
control the issue of moving the disaster tape copies off, and then back onsite.

 Whilst I realise that the commands are there MOVE DRM, Q DRM, etc there is
nothing to actually tie all this together for the people that have the
responsibility to actually use the product to move the tapes offsite and back
on again, when the time is right.

 Does anyone have any code (REXX etc) to tie all this up into a usable
application. I've got code to find what needs to go offsite(Q DRM) and eject
the tapes through the ejection/entry port but I'm interested in the following:

 (1) Tape lists: What needs to be requested back from the offsite vault.
Then MOVE DRM * WHEREST=VAULTR

 (2) Once tapes return onsite.
Then MOVE DRM * WHEREST=COURIERR and CHECKIN.

 (3) Ability to label LABEL LIBVOL extra tapes etc. Without having to manually
use the REPLY command. (Want to be using the ejection/entry port).

 I'm sure I'm not the first person to require this function. What does everyone
else do?

 Thought I'd ask before I write it all myself!

 Also, if IBM are listening when are you guys going to be adding this type of
useability function. If it was there ADSM would get a 10/10 as far as I'm
concerned.

      Guy Sheppard
      Storage Management

--------------83E8385E03A99420D38D6E06--