ADSM-L

Compression vs Non-compression Stats

1998-11-23 15:19:53
Subject: Compression vs Non-compression Stats
From: "Glass, Peter" <Peter.K.Glass AT NORWEST DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 14:19:53 -0600
Hello Group,
We are on ADSM V3-MVS, backing up about 300 clients of various platforms,
including about 110 or so UNIX platforms. We currently allow clients the
choice of whether to compress. Most of them do not. In order to slow  the
rate of DASD growth in our primary backup pool, we are considering forcing
compression from the Server. We would like to get an idea of  how much of an
impact we can expect in terms of CPU usage, and backup runtimes. Does
anybody know of an algorithm that can forecast approximate CPU usage with
compression turned on? Disk space savings? Or where I can look for this kind
of information? Any advice or instructive personal experiences along these
lines would be greatly appreciated. I would at least like to get an idea of
how much compression I can force without burying the CPU. Also, whether the
savings in disk space would be enough to make this idea worth pursuing.
Thank you!