ADSM-L

Re: Replying to e-mails

1998-11-23 14:51:40
Subject: Re: Replying to e-mails
From: Bill Smoldt <smoldt AT STORSOL DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 12:51:40 -0700
Actually, the way other high-volume lists work is that the consumer of the
answers is responsible for replying to the entire list with a summary of the
correct answers and acknowledgement of the individuals who provided the
correct information.  That way, no one has to state that they would like an
answer to the question as Tina stated - it is understood that it will be
posted.

The advantage to this method is that the list isn't cluttered with duplicate
and/or wrong answers, but the final correct answer is summarized - the one
that really fixed the problem.

The disadvantage is that the consumer has to be disciplined to provide a
summary.  The feature is somewhat self regulating in that people who don't
provide summaries are eventually ignored, while the ones that provide rapid
and concise summaries are serviced quickly.

I expect the volume on this list to double in the next six months to eight
months, and continue to grow at a rapid pace.  There will come a time where
the volume will be unusable.  That is why mature lists adopted the summary
style.

Unfortunately, people who haven't been exposed to that style of list are
used to working in this fashion, and are unlikely to be swayed unless they
see the advantages.  I suspect that you are stuck with this style for some
time, John.  I've tried filtering to a folder besides inbox, and I get so
far behind that I have to delete/all.  Ditto with the digest form.

At least the list is extraordinary useful, even in this form.  And it's fun
to see the wrong answers along with the right ones.  We've got a great bunch
of people here.

Bill Smoldt
SSSI